Article How to spend Australia Day in a campervan
On the 26th of January each year, Australia stops to celebrate the richness and diversity of our culture.
With temperatures normally in the 30s, a pool party and a game of beach cricket never too far away, this is the perfect time of year to jump in a campervan hire and explore the ‘Sunburnt Country’.
SHAREaCAMPER’s ingredients for a ripper Australia Day:
- Hire a campervan and hit the road:
The best way to celebrate Australia Day is to get outdoors and see Australia at its best! Whether it’s the beach, the bush or the river that you love, a SHAREaCAMPER motorhome can take you there!
Pack up the kids and the pets and hit the road for a truly ‘Aussie’ Australia Day.
- Find a BBQ:
It doesn't matter if it is the backyard Webber, the public BBQs at the beach or the outdoor grills in your motorhome hire, anything resembling a BBQ will do. Just throw some lamb, prawns or snaggas on the Barbie and kick back with an ice cold bevvy.
P.S. Their true origins may still be a hot topic of contention with our Kiwi neighbours, but a good Pavlova and Lamington for dessert on Australia day never goes astray!
- Listen to the Triple J Hottest 100 this Australia Day:
Some of our favourite spots to listen to the countdown are at a Pool Party, in the background for beach cricket, as BBQ tunes or on the campervan radio as you enjoy a good old fashioned road trip.
Once you’ve stopped driving for the day and found your perfect spot, why not try out one of these drinking games to ring in the prestigious top 10 songs of the year!
- Watch the Australia Day Fireworks:
- Brisbane -Southbank Parklands with the Brisbane River in the background.
- Sydney –Cockle Bay at Darling Harbour will feature a range of cultural entertainment events, culminating in a fireworks show.
- Melbourne – Docklands Precinct with fireworks launched from the Etihad Stadium.
- Perth – South Perth Foreshore over the Swan River with the city skyline behind.
- Adelaide – Elder Park with a concert and Australia’s largest Australia Day Parade.
- Canberra – From the shores of Lake Burely Griffin, the best vantage points include Regatta Point or the lawn of the National Library.